Tuesday 28 June 2011

Karen's birthday card


This was quite a challenge for me as Karen, my niece, is definitely not a hearts and flowers person card-wise. You may know from a previous post that she recently suffered a severe stroke which has left her paralysed down her left side. She is in a stroke rehab unit now undergoing intensive physio to try to help her regain the use of the left side including her eye. So creating a birthday card for her at this difficult time was never going to be easy - nothing too sombre, nothing too frivolous. Despite the fact that she will be 45 next Monday, Karen is still a Goth at heart and although forum friends kindly sent me appropriate images, I just couldn't get my head around that kind of genre enough to create a card using the designs in the time available. In the end, I decided on this encaustic art card which I had recently made. I thought it might help her in some small way to glance at it occasionally and try to figure out what it means. Could it be a cave in the middle of a forest? How was the texture created? For people who haven't seen encaustic art before, I think half the fun is having them think "now just how did they do that?!" Anyway, I do hope she likes it. Time enough for Goth-type cards when she is fully recovered. Sadly, it seems I will have plenty of time to practise those type of cards but I aim to have one ready for her next birthday!

6 comments:

crafty creations said...

Stunning card Shairon and I hope Karen will see lots of positive things in it x Hilda

jackiescrafts said...

This is a lovely card Shairon I'm sure it will help Karen as she looks at it and tries to work out what it is

Jackie x

Von said...

I't sure to get the brain thinking, a great card Shairon :)
Von x

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful cards - just been catching up with all your posts

Zoechaos said...

So sorry to hear about your niece Shairon. This little brain teaser will do her a power of good as she ponders over it and admires it. Love the completely abstract image can see so much going on in there! XOXO Zoe

Shairon said...

Thanks for all your lovely comments folks! Much appreciated.